Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Love knows a cruel bastard when it sees one

If I never felt compassionate
My reason would be stone.
I would follow directions dutifully
And my bullets would just go.

If my intellect ruled these tears
My emotions would lose their flame
And on no street would wander
My guilt, sorrow, vice, or shame.

If my screams were to never start
Nor vibrate through my tongue,
My legs would never buckle
And I’d march into the gun.

If my intellect ruled my fears
I’d not care I was un-whole
And stare blankly down inside the void
That was my lunatic of a soul.

If all I had was what I knew
My love would cease to give
And my love you would be frozen
With the pain I would have lived.

1 comment:

Sandman Moon said...

I love the title on this one, and I really love the lines:
"If all I had was what I knew
My love would cease to give"

To me, those lines remind me of how added experience in the past can only increase what you have to offer with the love you give in the present. I never learned how to love anyone properly until I had already made hundreds of failed attempts. Then you finally start to understand what love really is.

By the way, I'm in San Francisco this week... I'll get to email you soon!