Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Exit Stage One

I hear the trumpets blaring
Oh life is so wonderful
Super in every way

Starting as a sweet voice
hum sing sing hum softly
at first
until the treble raises to the sky
hair turning under my nerves
as screams and mud melt
through the unbroken silence

The creatures running
as they squish squeal and swirl
the muddy goop spreading
darkness falling
happy fading
burning at the edges

I hear
the trumpets calling
hooves of hounds pounding
my heart beating
the steel eyelashes
of a soulless woman
batting into ash

A small bird flirts with bursts of wind
twirls in air
she falls
and with the world falling all around
I reach out to catch her
trumpets at my door

Calmness finally spreading
as I stand tall again
I've given up
I accept all dismissals
as if I were a leaf accepting nothing
for it is a leaf
It has no say.

I hear the trumpets blaring
Oh life is so wonderful
Super in every way

2 comments:

Lottie Lynn said...

Damn, girl, this is stunning!

The lines that stole my breath:
"until the treble raises to the sky
hair turning under my nerves"
"The creatures running
as they squish squeal and swirl "
"hooves of hounds pounding "
"and with her my soul grays"
"A small bird flirts with bursts of wind"
"I reach out to catch her
trumpets at my door"

I always know that your poetry is beautiful, but I never remember just HOW powerful it is until I'm about halfway through one of your poems and my heart feels speechless.

kelvin s.m. said...

Hola,

I just wanted to wish you a safe and peaceful Christmas...^^

Feliz Navidad!!! Dios nos bendiga a todos!!!^^

~Kelvin